Information for Patients
At Denmark Hill Smiles Practice our aim is to give the best possible care and treatment to our patients. We welcome feedback and comments about our services and aim to deal with any concerns or complaints promptly, courteously and efficiently. We consider all feedback, comments, concerns and complaints as a positive way of looking at what we do and making changes to improve our service to patients. All views will be taken seriously and our procedures are in line with NHS Complaints Procedures.

The practice Feedback and Complaints Officer is Janet Koufali,

North Central London Integrated Care Board

By post to:
North Central London Integrated Care Board Complaints Team
Laycock PDC
Laycock Street
N1 1TH

By email to:

If you are making a complaint please state: ‘For the attention of the complaints team’ in the subject line.

By telephone: 0300 311 22 33

If you have a formal complaint to make, it is always advisable to try and resolve an issue directly with the provider in the first instance.

Feedback, Comments and Concerns
We want you to let us know if something is important to you, such as:

what you think about the care and treatment you have received;
what we have done well;
whether you have any concerns, e.g. about your appointment times or the facilities at the practice;
if you have any suggestions to help us improve things;
you don’t understand something and need more information about our services.

You can tell us by:

talking to a member of staff;
filling in our patient survey or questionnaire;
phoning the NHS Inform Helpline (0300 311 22 33);
telling the Patient Advice and Support Service (see under Contacts);
putting your comments in our suggestion box;
contacting the local NHS Board (see under Contacts).
We will use the information you give us to improve the services we provide.

Complaints about NHS treatment
You can make a complaint about

NHS care or treatment you have had or are having at the practice;
Our services or facilities;
A member of staff;
How services in the local area are organised, if this has affected your care or treatment.
You cannot make a complaint about – Anything you are taking legal action about.

Dr Jigna Joshi is responsible for dealing with complaint about the service we provide.
If a patient complains over the phone or at reception, we will listen to their complaint and offer to refer them to the Practice Manager. If the Practice Manager is not available at the time, the patient will be given an alternative date on which they can talk to the dentist and arrangements will be made accordingly. The member of staff receiving the complaint will take brief details of the complaint and pass them on.
If the patient complains in writing, the letter immediately will be passed on to Dr Jigna Joshi.

If a complaint is about any aspect of clinical care or associated charges it will normally referred to the dentist, unless the patient asks us not to.
We will acknowledge the patient’s complaint in writing and enclose a copy of the Code of Practice within 3 working days; we will investigate the complaint within 12 working days of receipt to give an explanation of the circumstances which led to the complaint. If the patient does not wish to attend a meeting with Dr Jigna Joshi, she will attempt to talk to the patient over the phone. If we are unable to investigate the complaint within 12 days we will notify the patients, giving reasons for the delay and a likely period within which the investigation will be completed.
We will confirm the decision about the complaint in writing immediately after completing our investigation.

Complaining on someone’s behalf
You can complain for someone else if you:

have their agreement to complain;
are a parent, guardian or main carer of a child and your child is not mature enough to understand how to complain;
have a welfare power of attorney or a welfare guardianship order for someone who cannot make decisions for themselves, and the order specifies that you have the power to make a complaint about healthcare;
are a relative of, or had a relationship with, a patient who has died and you are concerned about how they were treated before they died; or
are acting as an advocate for the patient.
Complaints about private treatment
We follow the same complaints procedure for complaints about private treatment. However, if you require help to make your complaint, or if you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint, the Dental Complaints Service (a department of the General Dental Council) offers a complaints resolution service for private dental patients and dentists (see Contacts).

If you change your mind after making a complaint
You can change your mind about making a complaint at any time. Please let us know as soon as possible. It would be helpful if you could write or e-mail and tell us, but otherwise a phone call will do.

Patient Advice and Support Service

Dental Complaints Service (for complaints about private treatment)

The General Dental Council, 37 Wimpole Street, London, W1M 8DQ.

Telephone: 020 8253 0800


Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman

Millbank Tower




Telephone: 0345 015 4033